shark&minnow, a strategy and design consultancy, is seeking an Associate Digital Designer to join our fast-growing team. Our purpose as a firm is to serve as a catalyst for change in business and marketing and a disruptive force in creativity and innovation. We are looking for an individual with strong skills and passion for visual design across different media. As a designer, you will routinely work on projects that spread across print, packaging and brand identity to projects for screens, devices and spaces. As part of a consultancy that is evolving and growing, this person must demonstrate a collaborative working style, great communication skills, as sense of inward motivation/urgency and the ability to thrive in a non-corporate environment focused on innovation.
We are looking for people with both breadth and depth in key areas of focused expertise. This position requires a creative talent with a proven ability to concept and craft stories, and has a master-level understanding of graphic design, including typography and layout. Simply stated, if you’re a creative problem solver with a strong visual portfolio and a passion for designing beautiful, unique and thoughtful work, we should talk.
Roles, Responsibilities & Skills
- Design Aesthetic and Style: You have a strong portfolio and elevated sense of design, color and typography. You know the difference between “good” and “great” and are able to work through team dynamics, clients and timelines to deliver excellent design
- User Experience Mindset: You understand and can articulate a Human centered design approach to design and be comfortable going out into the world for inspiration.
- Conceptual Thinking: You are able to originate creative ideas and translate across platforms
- Teamwork: You work best in a participatory, team-based environment. You support and inspire teams through collaboration as well as direction, vision, and planning of all aspects of visual deliverables. Also, all employees have a hand in shaping our consultancy and culture therefore regular and spontaneous get-togethers occur.
- Communication: You have strong verbal and visual presentation skills. You demonstrate a clear “point‐of‐view” relating to their design. You understand the value of design and brand within a business context.
- Prototyping: You are ready to learn from failure, embrace an iterative process and you understand that success come sooner with trial and error. You have experience in creating both low and high-fidelity design deliverables for print and screen.
- Consulting: You should feel comfortable throughout all phases of a project, from translating verbal ideas into visual concepts, through design development and refinement, to creating production-ready artwork.
- Openness: Designers need to be flexible and open-minded, especially working in a start-up office. Successful candidates are optimistic, generative, and open the new ideas and ways of working.
Minimum Requirements & Qualifications
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree education in Graphic Design, New Media, or professional equivalent
- Two to five years of experience in a design studio or creative consultancy
- Fluency with Adobe Creative Suite
- In-depth understanding of HTML, capabilities of web browsers
- Knowledge of motion design, as well as visual/interactive/motion design trends
- Deep understanding of digital tools, trends, and foundation
- Be self-directed toward excellent work outcomes
- Excellent discretion, demonstrating sound judgment in dealing with confidential dialogues and information
- Ability to travel occasionally
We value a culture of collaboration and professional and personal growth for all employees. shark&minnow provides a competitive salary, healthcare, 401(k), short-term and long-term disability, vacation time that increases with tenure and a generous company holiday schedule.
If you have a fresh perspective on your area of focus, identify with our values and would love to contribute to our consultancy – we would love to see your cover letter, resume and available sample work/online portfolio – complete the form below.
Job Application Form
For extra credit, send us a sample of something that’s good, and send us a sample of something that’s great. Not something you created, and no explanation needed.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.