What is Customer Experience?
We define customer experience as: The customer evaluation of interactions with your company during the customer journey to complete goals and tasks. Three principles must be followed in order to ensure an optimal customer experience:
- Empathize With Your Customer: Reveal the customer mindset and focus on needs and wants to provide catalysts that empower customers to accomplish their goals
- Alleviate Negative Interactions: Minimize friction, dead-ends, frustrations and pain points for customers when completing tasks
- Reinforce Future Positive Interactions: Reconcile negative interactions by translating value inherent in products, services and features into solutions that alleviate negative interactions
- Embrace Thoughtful and Human-centered Design: Introduce only essential features and applications that support or improve the journey
- Monitor Metrics and Optimize the Experience: Provide a feedback loop and relentlessly monitor metrics and key performance indicators to reveal opportunities for improvement
According to Harvard Business Review, a company must define and understand all dimensions of the customer experience in order to have long-term success. All interactions (technical or human) should be defined and analyzed in order to understand the customer journey overall. The more aware a business is of what type of experience they want to offer, the more likely they will create a positive experience. We recommend four tools to use when designing the customer experience:
- Media Ecosystems
- Customer Journey Maps
- Customer Value Maps
Reveal the Customer Mindset
Personas are a visual representation of the customer mindset. Effective personas reveal customer insights from qualitative and quantitative research; including demographics, psychographics, motivations and behaviors. These insights explain the conscious and subconscious beliefs as well as intended and unintended behaviors of customers as they interact with brands, products, services and immersed in experiences.
Identify Media Consumption & Engagement
Media Ecosystems are a visual representation of the customer’s media consumption and engagement habits, identifying the best and worst touchpoints to reach, interact and engage with.
Curate the Customer Journey
Customer Journey Maps are a visual representation of the array of online and offline touchpoints that customer interact and engage with. Effective Customer Journey Maps identify customer dilemmas and dead=ends and reveal solutions to move through the journey to achieve desired customer goals.
Improve the Customer Experience
Customer Value Maps identify:
- The value that products, services and experiences provide customers, and
- The solutions that fulfill their needs and wants and relieve frustrations and pain points, driven by customer goals and tasks